26 Aug 7 DIY Teeth Cleaning Tips at Home
About Oral Hygiene
The practice of keeping your teeth, mouth, and gums healthy and clean to prevent disease is called dental hygiene. Dental hygiene, teeth cleaning, and oral health are generally taken for granted, but they are essential in our daily lives.
Oral health is an essential indicator of overall health, well-being, and quality of life. It covers various diseases and conditions, including cavities, periodontal (gum) disease, tooth loss, oral cancer, oral manifestations of HIV infection, oral trauma, noma, and congenital disabilities such as cleft lip and palate.
The 2017 Global Burden of Disease study estimation says oral diseases affect 3.5 billion people worldwide. As per the data and records of the International Agency for Research on Cancer, lip cancer and oral cancer are among the 15 most common cancers globally, with nearly 180,000 deaths each year.
Most oral diseases and conditions and significant non-communicable diseases (cardiovascular disease, cancer, chronic respiratory disease, and diabetes) have modifiable risk factors. Poor oral health adversely affects women during pregnancy.
Due to poor oral health during pregnancy, pregnant women may experience premature deliveries, low birth weight babies, pre-eclampsia, ulcers in the gum tissue, pregnancy granulomas, gingivitis, pregnancy tumors (pregnancy spots), loose teeth, dry mouth, and tooth erosion.
Proper technique of teeth cleaning
The correct method of brushing and flossing:
- Brush your teeth gently from all directions with a soft brush
- Use the brush in short forward, in small circular motions, and backward motions.
- Brush your teeth carefully and gently along the gum line.
- Brush your tongue gently or use a tongue scraper to help keep your mouth clean.
- Use dental floss, pre-threaded dental floss, water thread, or similar products to clean between teeth. This can remove plaque and food residue that the toothbrush cannot reach.
- Rinse after flossing.
People with arthritis or other diseases that restrict hand movement may have difficulty holding and using a toothbrush. Some helpful tips are:
- Use an electric or battery-powered toothbrush
- Buy a large-handled toothbrush.
- Secure the toothbrush handle to your hand with loose and tight straps. If brushing or flossing makes your gums bleed or your mouth is sore, see your dentist.
You can use a dental floss holder if you face difficulties in using dental floss. Ask your dentist to show you the correct way to floss.
DIY Teeth Cleaning Tips
- Brush twice a day: As we all know, it is generally recommended to brush your teeth at least twice a day. Brushing teeth before bed can remove bacteria and plaque that have built up during the day.
- Brush your teeth properly: It is crucial to mind the technique to brush your teeth. Badly brushing your teeth is almost as bad as not brushing your teeth at all. Take your time, moving your toothbrush in gentle circular motions to remove plaque.
- Clean your tongue as well: Dental plaque can also accumulate on your tongue. This causes not only terrible mouth odor but also other oral health problems. So, do not forget to brush your tongue lightly whenever you brush your teeth.
- You can use fluoride toothpaste: For toothpaste, in addition to the whitening effect and taste, there are more elements to look for. Although fluoride has been reviewed by those who care about how it affects other areas of health, fluoride remains the mainstay of oral health. This is because fluoride is the primary defense against tooth decay. For instance, the main function of toothpastes-like AP-24 Anti-Plaque Fluoride Toothpaste is to fight bacteria that can cause cavities and provide a protective barrier for the teeth.
- Flossing is also essential: Flossing is not just about getting little bits of food that can get stuck between your teeth. Many people tend to neglect to floss. This is a way to stimulate the gums, reduce plaque, and help reduce inflammation in the area.
- Consider using mouthwashes: Mouthwashes are necessary for maintaining oral health. Premium mouthwash like Mouthwash with Additives by STOP helps in the following ways: (a) it reduces the amount of acid in your mouth, (b) cleans difficult-to-reach brush areas in and around your gums, and (c) remineralizes your teeth.
- Drink more water: Based on experience, experts at the dental implant clinic at mortsel recommend drinking water after every meal. This can help eliminate some of the adverse effects of sticky and acidic foods and drinks between brushes.
How effective are teeth cleaning at home?
Are you planning teeth whitening at home? It can be a good idea. But, teeth cleaning techniques might not work the same for every individual. It can be the toughness of the stains on the teeth and the variability of teeth condition. Well, if you are seeking promising results, you must seek dental services from a dentist. It is essential to get your teeth checked regularly because it helps keep your teeth and gums healthy.
If you are hunting for the best dental clinic at locations like antwerpen, you can contact us. At Euro Dent, we offer top-notch services to our patients. You can feel free to get in touch with our experts.